Headstones with lane's Definition of Mapping Cemeteries

lane – Progress on Outreach Plan and Research

This past week has been productive and quite eventful. I took on the task of creating visual images of each team member’s definition of Mapping Cemeteries, which will be included on our Making Mapping Cemeteries site, social media, and potentially our final website. I had a lot of fun finding images, toying around with different visual effects, colors, and fonts (our group, particularly Asma can really appreciate a good font). I created similar visual images which include definitions of necropolitics and deathscapes — two key topics in our project that may be new to our audience.  

Our first social media posts have gone up on our Instagram and Facebook pages! While it may seem trivial, it was both exciting and gratifying to receive some positive feedback on the posts. Asma and I have been brainstorming our Outreach Plan for the past few weeks, meeting outside of class via Facetime or chatting over text. It’s been such a fun experience for myriad reasons, one being that Asma is an outstanding person to work with!  

The first post included the previously mentioned images of our team definitions along with a caption introducing the project in a little more detail. Our next post which will include the definitions of necropolitics and deathscapes will be going up on Friday! Another fun update is that we are planning on interviewing Asma’s professor for one of our Soundcloud episodes where we’ll explore the metaphysics of our project. Asma and I are still in the process of compiling ideas for post topics in our Work Plan System sheet, so look out for more fun posts on our Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok, and Soundcloud accounts.  

This Thursday is our cutoff for research and data submission in our Data Management Sheet, so the next few days will consist of wrapping up research for the African Burial Ground National Monument. While I’ve enjoyed the research process, I’m looking forward to delving into the visual aspects of our final site.  

l.v.