lane – Finding Fun in Research!

Another week has passed! It’s surreal how rapidly this semester is flying by as well as how the initial idea for Mapping Cemeteries has sprouted into an actual project that is developing more and more as the team is performing their own individual research and adding it into our group spreadsheet. In our last recurring Tuesday meeting, Nadia showed the group the prototype of both the map and the timeline that she and Lisa have been working on. The whole team, I included, were visibly excited upon seeing the ideas we’ve discussed begin to solidify – well, on our screens at least!  

Additionally, in last week’s meetings Micki gave us a visit and provided some insight into our creation process as well as the project in general. Bri mentioned this in last week’s class, but one of the most helpful tidbits that Micki stated during her visit was how crucial it is to keep in mind that incompleteness is okay when it comes to academic projects! While it’s necessary to work diligently and put our all into this project, it’s also important to remember that for many of us this our first experience working collaboratively on something like this. Moreover, this should be an enjoyable and transformative learning experience, so we need to remember to have fun throughout this process.  

Asma and I have started having weekly FaceTime meetings to discuss our outreach plan, which I have enjoyed so much! Asma is super fun to work with and we have had some good laughs whilst planning some of social media content as well as the episodes of our Soundcloud podcast. Earlier this week, I created three of our social accounts: Tik Tok, Facebook, and Instagram. I’m keeping the sites simple whilst we’re still conducting our core research for the site, but Asma and I are beginning to develop a sort of schedule for our content. We have collectively decided that April 15th will be our deadline for completing our research; once we’ve finalized that, we can get into the fun parts of outreach such as branding and choosing specifics on post content that is both engaging and relevant to our research.  

l.v.