Reflection on Development Process and Progress

This week, I progressed in the development of the wireframes for all our website components. I felt a relief to be finally able to show something to my team and get real-time feedback. I think with web development, it is really hard to make things look exactly how everyone is imagining them to be, sometimes it’s even hard to understand what a component looks like in someone’s mind. In our latest group meeting, I showed an initial draft of vertical timeline and the horizontal timeline with a couple data points. My team member’s thoughts really helped reimagine some things and we did a little whiteboard session to understand the interaction between both timelines. I took a lot of notes from this discussion and have a long list of to-do items for the website.

The vertical timeline component will be updated to become a one-sided timeline on smaller screens like mobile and to stay an opposite-sided timeline on laptops and bigger screens. The horizontal timeline will have a whole new design. I initially chose to use a knots design example I found online, but the team suggested we go with lines, instead of knots or circles. I think this will be even easier to implement than the knots design as I am thinking about using a simple d3 timeline line to implement this.

I am not going to lie but I am starting to get a bit anxious about all the amount of work there is to do between now and April 15th. We have set that date as the final date to complete our data collection and to have the website functionalities ready for branding.

I am definitely grateful for my team for valuing each other’s time and efforts. They have all agreed to help me with my research on the cemeteries I have chosen to work on for the project in case I need help, as I also navigate the project web development.

[This entry was originally posted on  DHUM 70002 Digital Humanities: Methods and Practices (Spring 2021)  in Personal Blogs on March 16, 2021 by NedjaEM.]